The Trouble with Flirting by Claire LaZebnik


The Trouble with Flirting by Claire LaZebnik

Release Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rated: YA 14+
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

In this fun romance inspired by Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, Franny Pearson learns about the troubles that flirting can cause– and enjoys (almost) every second of it.

Franny Pearson never dreamed she'd be attending the prestigious Mansfield Summer Theater Program. And she's not, exactly. She's working for her aunt, the drama department's costume designer. But sewing her fingers to the bone does give her an opportunity to spend time with her crush, Alex Braverman. If only he were as taken with the girl hemming his trousers as he is with his new leading lady. When Harry Cartwright, a notorious flirt, shows more than a friendly interest in Franny, she figures it can't hurt to have a little fun. But why is Alex suddenly giving her those deep, meaningful looks?

In this charming tale of mixed messages and romantic near-misses, one thing is clear: flirting might be more trouble than Franny ever expected.

Theatre!
Flirting and boys!
A Jane Austen retelling!

This book seriously combined some of my favorite thing together to create the perfect contemporary. I mean seriously, I LOVE theater, and Shakespeare even more (cause it combines English and Theater together). Putting this together with hot fictional boys (who can act– seriously, I'm swooning right now just typing this all out) you get a hilarious and cute story.
I haven't actually ever read Mansfield Park, but just by reading the blurb, I could tell this story gains a LOT of it's inspiration from Austen's book. It really makes me want to read it even more now, because even though Pride and Prejudice is the only Austen book I've ever read– and it doesn't really even count because I actually never made it to the end! – but I do enjoy the movies and TV series that have come from them, I'm really being pushed forward into this love for Jane Austen without even having read her books.

Ah, there was so much flirting between the characters! I seriously ate it all up– I am that much a lover of the art of flirting. I found myself smiling throughout the novel, caught up in Franny's thoughts on Alex and Harry, and finding myself wondering which of the two was better. Of course, as you'll soon see, I do have a huge preference for several reasons.
Franny's character– I swear I could really relate to her. She has this sense of humor which I feel like I actually get (and I'm pretty funny myself in my own opinion :P), and she loves the flirt... which I seem to do on a regular basis apparently. So there you have it. Other than those two things I have in common with her, I think she's just a character who has these emotions which teens can relate to, and she's a character that readers will be easily able to connect to.
HARRYYYYYYYYYYYY. Seriously still fan-girling about him, and I read the book like a week ago. Hilarious, funny, good-looking– the total contemporary male role package. Everything that you could possibly ask for in a guy. Not to mention his cockiness!
Alex was an okay character, I mean I could definitely see the appeal from Franny's eyes, but with him and Harry, I thought there was no competition: HARRY ALL THE WAY.

Claire LaZebnik truly does have the makings of a Queen of Teen Fiction, and I'm excited to see what she comes up with in the future to come. The Trouble with Flirting is definitely one of my favorite contemporaries so far in 2013, and it will have you smiling from start to finish. Definitely check this one out!


▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Claire LaZebnik and HarperCollins for sending a copy of The Trouble with Flirting for review and BTG2013! ▪ ▪ ▪


If you like this, try...

1 comment:

  1. Eepp!! It's a Jane Austen retelling?! Count me in! I surely will enjoy this one :)

    BTW, I'm currently having a giveaway on my blog. You can check it out and join :) FOllower APpreciation GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!