Otherkin by Nina Berry

Otherkin by Nina Berry

Release Date: July 31, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Series: Otherkin, Book 1
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Dez is a good girl who does as she's told and tries not to be noticed. Then she rescues a boy from a cage, and he tells her secrets about herself. Now inside her burns a darkness that will transform her.

Everything is about to change--and neither Caleb, nor the Otherkin, nor those who hunt them, are prepared for what Dez will unleash.



I haven't read a paranormal that involved shape shifters for a very long time, and I'm so glad that Otherkin was an enjoyable, amazing read. I got sucked in immediately– the action began from the first couple of pages itself. The idea for this novel is one which I've never seen within the young adult world. They're not like the shifters you'd expect– werewolves and other paranormal creatures. I loved being sucked into this world, a world of action and love, shifters and shadows.

I loved Dez, but I thought her willingness to step right into action had me a little skeptical. Other than that, I really thought her determination and fierce nature really made me enjoy the story through her eyes.
However, I just could not warm up to Caleb. I mean, sure, a couple of times I really fell for him, but it never lasted too long. In the end, I liked him more than I did before, but not much to make me fangirl over the top, squealing whenever he makes an appearance.

The "mythology" behind it all was a little hard for me to follow, but I thought it was highly original, a completely unique one-of-a-kind book with a background which no other has explored. I liked the idea of the shadow realms, and hope that makes a bigger appearance in the sequel.

Just a small review, but I'm sure it's clear when I say this book is bursting with uniqueness and you should NOT hesitate to pick it up! I loved Nina Berry's debut, and I'm sure I will with the second book, Othermoon!


If you like this, try...

1 comment:

  1. I love that cover and I haven't read a paranormal shapeshifter book in a long time myself... This sounds like a good read! Awesome review! :)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!