Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


Release Date: June 1st, 2010
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls, Book 1
Rating: YA 13+
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


the cold.
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—
her wolf—watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

the heat.
Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.

the shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human—and Grace must fight to keep him—even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.
Even better the second time!
I love this book. No, wait. Scratch that. I ADORE this book. I think Shiver as well as the rest of the series is one of the best werewolf YA books out there. The love, the challenge, the stakes. Amazing! I don't know why I've never reviewed this book. Well, obviously I'm pretty sure that this had been read before I created this blog :P
When I first picked this one up, I was actually waiting for my mom at Walmart, while she was shopping for some stuff. I (naturally) went to the book section and a book with a GORGEOUS cover was waiting there. How could I resist? Only one problem: werewolves. I mean, the Twilight thing was still going, and I was pretty much sick of reading about vampires and werewolves. But in the end, the cover really got to me and SURPRISE, I bought it. Went home, and started reading. Couldn't. Stop. And thus, it became one of my favorites. I re-read it recently (and thus the review was born!) because I'd just bought Linger and I needed to read it once more to refresh my memory.


Grace. Oh, Grace. How I envy you. Love her personality and her headstrong ways, she is one of the most amazing main characters in YA lit out there. (and lucky her, she gets Sam!)
Speaking of which, I've had this really long-time crush on Sam. Love his yellow eyes to his love for music and of course, his wolf-like nature. *Sigh*...I want a Sam!
Isabel. OMG, love her. I want to BE her. Seriously, she's the snarky yet reliable (and hilarious!) supporting character. I mean, at first she's pretty icy, but then once you get to know her, things really get going. The tie between her and the story of Sam and Grace really all fit and make things turn out quite differently...


I really like how we see the perspective of Sam and Grace alternatively. We can first see the flashback from when Grace was first with the wolves and then from then on it's the present point of view with Sam as a wolf and Grace as a human watching him...watching her. I really like how they add the temperature on the chapter headings, so we can see how the temperature effects Sam's state of being. I know, nerdy :P but it's different!
Another thing I found really cool was that the color of the ink used is usually the color of the color. I think for Linger it's the same (I have the UK cover, which is black, so the ink is...black) with the green ink and such. Just thought it made things more interesting.


Shiver is beautiful. The cover, the detail, the love–everything. I found myself wanting to have a wolf-like nature, and cheering on Sam to stay human. Stiefvater has revolutionized werewolves and made them evermore popular (and more lovable than vampires) with this novel. I've read Linger, and a review should be coming soon, and it is SO good.. Each book gets better and better than it already is!


If you like this, try...
  • Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
  • Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (Review)
  • The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (Review)
  • The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
  • The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
  • Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl & Kami Garcia (Review)
  • Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
  • Fallen by Lauren Kate (Review)

3 comments:

  1. AM I the only person not in LOVE with this series?
    I thought it was a little too slow but it pretty well written!
    Nice review


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This helps express their feels making the book more deep. I can definatly say this book was a good romance. The 2 main characters Sam and Grace are in love thats more than just a want but a need. They fight to keep Sam as a human. Will they win out or will this love be lost forever? Ull just have to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just re-read this a couple of days ago and omg it's like reading it the first time, SO GOOD!
    i'm gonna read the rest of the series this week too. btw did you read forever yet? :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!