The Loop by Shandy Lawson


The Loop by Shandy Lawson

Release Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Hyperion
Rated: YA 14+
Format: ARC
Source: Author
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Ben and Maggie have met, fallen in love, and died together countless times. Over the course of two pivotal days—both the best and worst of their lives—they struggle again and again to resist the pull of fate and the force of time itself. With each failure, they return to the beginning of their end, a wild road trip that brings them to the scene of their own murders and into the hands of the man destined to kill them.

As time circles back on itself, events become more deeply ingrained, more inescapable for the two kids trapped inside the loop. The closer they come to breaking out, the tighter fate’s clutches seem to grip them. They devise a desperate plan to break free and survive the days ahead, but what if Ben and Maggie’s only shot at not dying is surviving apart?

The Loop was fast-paced, quick and short read, but it was SO GOOD. Highly original and had me wondering how in heck they'd make it out in the end. It had me flipping pages from start to finish and I just couldn't get enough of it.
The concept for this book is so unique– I haven't read much of time travel within the YA world. The idea of these two teens falling in love and then killed... only to be stuck on repeat. Absolutely brilliant. I was surprised at how much could be packed into 200 pages. Lawson's writing is great and will bewitch you with this tale of love, fate, and their ultimate doom.

Because of this novel's fast pace, I thought that I didn't quite get a grasp on the characters. However, I thought that this wasn't a problem, because I liked that quickness to the story, I liked how rapidly it changed and how so much could be covered in so few pages. The sense of déjà vu, the atmosphere of a psychological thriller, the action: all will make your heart pound with each sudden plot twist.

❝"Maybe this is the one. Maybe we get it right this time around."
"Maybe." But I don't believe it.❞
–p. 2 (ARC* edition)
*text is subject to change in the final copy

Ben and Maggie were great characters. With a story like this, it's hard to get to know them well, but I found that I got pretty attached to them, and my heart would pang for them whenever something came up and obstructed them from changing their fate.
I thought the ending, and how the book is left the off, was a great Inception (movie) ending where it leaves it up to the reader's imagination and also produces a cliff-hangy feel to it.

Overall, I enjoyed The Loop immensely, as it was suspenseful, thrilling and action-packed. A fantastic debut by Shandy Lawson, an author who has proven to have great skill with words and I shall be looking forward to reading more from him in the future!

▪ Thank you so much to Shandy Lawson for sending a copy of The Loop for review and BTG2013! ▪

If you like this, try...

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm definitely putting these on my to read list.

    Ann@Blogging E-books

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!