The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes

The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes

Release Date: May 20, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Edelweiss
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads Website

Soccer star Lainey Mitchell is gearing up to spend an epic summer with her amazing boyfriend, Jason, when he suddenly breaks up with her—no reasons, no warning, and in public no less! Lainey is more than crushed, but with help from her friend Bianca, she resolves to do whatever it takes to get Jason back.

And that’s when the girls stumble across a copy of The Art of War. With just one glance, they're sure they can use the book to lure Jason back into Lainey’s arms. So Lainey channels her inner warlord, recruiting spies to gather intel and persuading her coworker Micah to pose as her new boyfriend to make Jason jealous. After a few "dates", it looks like her plan is going to work! But now her relationship with Micah is starting to feel like more than just a game.


What's a girl to do when what she wants is totally different from what she needs? How do you figure out the person you're meant to be with if you're still figuring out the person you're meant to be?

I’m a fan of stories about revenge, and I’m a fan of cute contemporaries. So, when the two come together, I do everything I possibly can to get it into my hands. The Art of Lainey was the perfect blend. There was already a lot of hype, and I’m so glad that it actually lived up to my expectations and didn’t fall flat. I never really knew what The Art of War was about before I’d read this book and so I’m happy that I actually do now know what the book is about, and I may or may not use that to my advantage... hehe.

I hate saying this, but Lainey seriously pissed me off during some parts of the story. Firstly, there was the whole I-need-Jason-or-I’m-nothing vibe at the start of the book. I mean, seriously? ugh. Then there’s the other times when she acts like a complete brat which set my teeth on edge. Otherwise, there was some amazing character growth and development, and it’s only later in the book that I really came to love her character because she comes realise her flaws and actually does something about it. Plus, I love how she realises she’s falling for Micah. Totally adorbs! Speaking of: MICAH. THE NEW LOVE OF MY LIFE. Bad boy? Count me in. His character kind of reminded me of Jake from Saving June and likewise, I was seriously fangirling over him throughout the novel. He was seriously sweet and plus he has such a cute younger sister.
Before reading this book, I’d read several reviews and I have to agree on one thing– Bee is literally the best friend. EVER. “Ever” as in after reading so much young adult fiction, I’ve never seen a more dedicated best friend/sidekick character. Had loads of love for her because jeez, if only she were real... (Not that I’m complaining about my own friends. I love them, I swear!)

The Art of Lainey is a glittering debut by an author everyone needs to look out for. Paula Stokes has managed to capture the pain of heartbreak as well as the beauty of a new and unexpected relationship in her debut. You seriously don’t want to miss this one!

If you like this, try...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, even though Lainey bugged you sometimes! It sounds like a cute read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!