Dark Secrets 1: Legacy of Lies/Don't Tell by Elizabeth Chandler

Two girls haunted by the past...and destined to relive it

In Legacy of Lies, Megan has to stay with the uptight grandmother she wants nothing to do with. She's determined to get through the visit without any drama, but when she falls into a twisted love triangle with potentially fatal consequences, Megan may be caught up in her family's legacy in more ways than she realizes.

In Don't Tell, Lauren knows that by returning to the town where her mother drowned seven years ago, she'll be reliving one of her most haunting memories. When she arrives, she is propelled into a series of mysterious events that mimic the days leading up to her mother's death. Maybe her mother's drowning wasn't an accident after all...and maybe Lauren is next.


I've heard several good things about Kissed by an Angel and this series, and all of them are true. Legacy of Lies and Don't Tell were both highly suspenseful and exhilarating from start to finish. Warning, SPOILER ALERT.

Legacy of Lies was an interesting book. It's not common that most main characters are adopted (okay, it may be, but I've not read too many with them) and from that point we learn this we know that there's gonna be some sort of tension between the grandma and Megan. What I didn't expect was that she falls in love with her cousin (NOT related by blood! I mean ew. How gross would that be?). I mean, I thought it would be the friend of the cousin which she would fall in love with, but meh sure enough, she fell in love with her cousin.
What I really enjoyed about this book was the different elements. How people in the past, as Megan makes the connection between her and a person in the past, are similar to the people around her like Thomas (was it?) was like her cousin, and her friend is afraid of the place where her past self died. Things like that make it interesting. Kind like the same thing as Avalon High by Meg Cabot.

Don't Tell, however, was darker and possessed a certain "scariness" to it. I must admit I did have nightmares after I read it. But I enjoyed this one compared to Legacy of Lies, although that book is also amazingly good. What I liked about Don't Tell was that it had a strong main character, Lauren. Like with Megan, I thought she was a bit too perky in bits, too optimistic and too smart-mouthed. Lauren, on the other hand had an amazing emotional depth to her, and therefore I LIKE HER BETTER. She just seems more real. 
This story had an amazing twist to it, so hidden that it sprung upon me with no warning. It's really still pretty creepy now I think about it. I didn't like the Aunt though. It almost made it seem like she did kill the mom, but nope. I hate her though. She's so mean and blunt towards Lauren it makes me so mad, and I feel so sorry towards Lauren. It was weird though, how everything was layed out. I won't say who did kill the mom or who locked Lauren in or whatever. Just read the book! you won't be disappointed. I promise!

Both books were amazing, but Don't Tell was amazing-er to me. Both stories though captured the fear and paranormal activity in a way that readers will feel scared and chilled to the bone. Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!