It's OK, I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers by Louise Rennison



As the title implies, Georgia has snagged herself a sex god in the form of Robbie, the boy of her dreams. Now that they've indulged in a bit of "full-frontal snogging," Georgia turns her attention to advancing the relationship. But things quickly go wrong when she learns that her father's new job may necessitate a move to New Zealand. Crestfallen, Georgia feels her life might as well be over. Then, miraculously, the dreaded move is cancelled, and things seem to be getting better -- at least until 17-year-old Robbie decides to break up with Georgia because he's bothered by the difference in their ages. 

Borrowing freely from her mum's closet and advice books, even as she's steadfastly discounting everything her mum says, a crushed but determined Georgia comes up with a scheme to win Robbie back. As usual, nothing goes as planned, and life is further complicated by Georgia's temperamental cat, Angus (who's having a few amorous leanings of his own), and her baby sister, Libby, whose fascination with (and lack of control over) her bodily functions leads to several intriguing mishaps. Of course, there are other disasters, too: a quick-tan lotion that turns Georgia's legs orange, a run-in with the aptly named Bummer sisters, and friends who insist on focusing on their own problems from time to time.

Who knew the angst of adolescence could be so much fun? This Georgia's-eye view of teenage life is wonderfully egocentric and side-splittingly funny. And despite the occasional language barrier (a glossary of terms is provided in the back of the book), Georgia's thoughts and experiences will prove universally recognizable to anyone who is, or has ever been, a teenager. 

I am so sure the back of the book never had a blurb this big. But whatevs. I like this blurb better than the others, so MEH.

I read this book a while back, but it's hilarity will always stay. Georgia is one I could compare to, as many have, Bridget Jones, or even Greg Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. So much happens to Georgia and I'm like, "OMG, I'm so glad thats not me!". The words she uses (as I'm not British) I couldn't understand as much, so before I read the book (lessons learnt from Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging) I went to the Glossary and looked at the definitions of the words. BIG DIFFERENCE. I could understand it! HOORAY!

I'm kinda half and half when the SG Robbie dumps Georgia. It kinda makes sense, cause he's what? 17, 18? and she's 14...so it's kinda awkward for him as she's way younger than him, and therefore (and surely) more immature. But I feel bad for Georgia as she only talks about Robbie in, oh, every 2 pages AT LEAST. But still, "Wet Lindsay" is not worthy.

I like Dave though. I actually like him better than Robbie, as I find him NOT ONLY closer to Georgia's age, therefore making it less awkward, but he's sincere and charming and makes Georgia laugh, which I dunno if Robbie did. I feel so sorry that she uses him for a "red herring" and hurts his feelings. I maybe could kill her for that. But anyway, he gets back at her by dating her best friend, Ellen.

Libby, is adorable as ever. She's a key part to the mix-ups that Georgia gets into and her comments and actions just add to the hilarity of the whole thing. I hate Georgia's parents though. They're kinda weird. Except I find it funny how her dad gets mad. And of course, him dealing with Angus. Speaking of Angus, there's a new Gal in his life (Lass? Lady?) Naomi the new neighbor's cat. I find it funny how Georgia compares herself with him, saying that someday they'll both be together with the one's they love. And then she makes it weird with how Angus kinda is like Robbie.

As always, the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson are always hilarious, real laugh-out-loud material. I've already read Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas and review will be coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!