Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Release Date: August 7, 2012
Publisher: Tor Teen
Series: Anna, Book 2
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Hardcover (Finished Copy)
Source: Borrowed – Thanks Riya @ The Teen Book Guru!
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Read my review of Anna Dressed in Blood HERE.

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.
Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.
Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

Ever since reading Blake's debut, Anna Dressed in Blood, I've been pining endlessly for the series. When the opportunity presented itself where I got the chance to read the book (thanks Riya!), I just couldn't say no.
I have to say, I didn't know what to expect when reading this book. And yes, I thought in the end that it didn't live up to the first book, but it was definitely a fascinating read, one which had me curious for more with every turning of the page.

I will be honest now, Anna doesn't make an appearance too much in this book. Most of the book revolves around Cas trying to figure out how to save Anna as well as some character developments. I was a little confused and dizzy around some bits, but I think it's quite a satisfying conclusion to the series. Not exactly how I imagined it would end, but still a good ending. Love the old characters, love the (few) new characters, and definitely enjoyed characters which were mentioned but we didn't get to meet in the first book.

Some parts of this book absolutely chilled me to the bone. The images conjured up in my head by Blake's beautifully horrifying descriptions were pretty gruesome and haunted me. I was freaked by that dramatic climax near the end and had my eyes glued to the pages, mouth agape, grasping to find out what happens next.

Sorry for the short review, but you should definitely pick up Girl of Nightmares if you've read the first book. If you haven't, shame on you! Kendare Blake is amazing at her craft, with male POVs, frickin' scary images that will keep you up all night, and a gorgeous love story.


If you like this, try...




1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!