Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake


Release Date: August 30, 2011
Publisher: Tor Teen
Series: Anna, Book 1
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Hardcover
Source: Publisher
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas's life.




Ghosts? Check.
A hot ghost hunter? Double Check.
A not-so normal boy-meets-girl story? You got that right.


Kendare Blake's Anna Dressed in Blood made me fall in love with the world of ghosts once more. The last ghost story I read (which I absolutely loved!) would probably be either Hereafter by Tara Hudson. I hate how there's not too many books in the paranormal YA genre of ghosts, but Kendare Blake creates something which probably can't be topped.


I loved the characters. Every character was unique, yet in it's clichés, it still made the story SO much better. Cas, the hottest ghost hunter I've ever read about. Sigh. Almost makes me wish he kills me in the afterlife! Anna, loved her story, and as her character progressed through the story, you can't help but feel sympathy for her.
Of course, we have the amazing supporting cast of Thomas and Carmel. I loved how they did go against the stereotypes: Carmel was actually a nice popular girl. You don't see it too often in YA books.


What I loved most about this book, was the fact that it was from a guy's point of view. You don't have too many books like that. I've only read a couple, such as Beautiful Creatures and The Replacement and I'm glad to see that this one is as amazing as the others.


Anna Dressed in Blood is a haunting mystery that will make you gasp and grip into every moment, wanting more. Kendare Blake's amazing debut brings back ghosts into the paranormal genre, bloodier and creepier than ever. She leaves you holding onto every word and clinging onto the plot in ways you can't imagine. I just know that I can't wait for Girl of Nightmares. The ending left me heartbroken, and when I found out that there was sequel, my sadness went away. More Anna! and definitely more Cas :D.


**Thank you so much to Tor Teen and Kendare Blake for sending me a copy for review!**




If you like this, try...




15 comments:

  1. Great review! It sounds like you loved it just as much as I did. Oh Cas....how I adore that guy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh! I finally got this one and am very excited to get to it. Now if I could just get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! :) I finished it a week ago and had nightmares for three days since. *shudder* But what an amazing book! :) I entered your giveaway... thx for hosting one!!

    -Riya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, this book just makes me want to read this more! I've been trying to hunt down a copy, but so far, no luck... :)

    Thanks for enjoying my Pandemonium review, and I totally get what you mean about waiting until the final book comes out; I absolutely HATE being barreled down by a massive cliff-hanger (which, trust me, Pandemonium does have). I followed back by the way :)

    Ela@ YA Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been curious about this book. Based on your review, I think I may have to check it out!

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to get this book like now because ur review is spurning me into action....

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna Dressed in Blood will be my next read, I just got my copy :) Thank you for the review. Hope I'll love this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this in mt TBR pile for awhile now. Since book two is out or coming out soon, I definitely need to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I can't wait to read my copy of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review.. i really wanna read this book..:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started this book, then set it aside.. I guess I better pick it back up! Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review :) I loved Anna Dressed in Blood, Anna was great characters & one of the most badass ghosts ever :D and I loved the male PoV, too :) I actually prefer male PoV :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book too, but the sequel wasn´t so good.
    Your review is great.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I loved the characters too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There were times when I wanted to throw the book across the room because it was making me so mad (or scaring me so badly!). I loved it AND hated it at the same time...it's one of those books that made me feel ALL THE THINGS. I loved Anna. She's totally the most awesome ghost in YA lit. I love that she retained some of her humanity. It made it really easy to relate to her. I loved that the story was told from Cas's point of view. Male POVs are hit and miss for me, and this was definitely a hit.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!