We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Release Date: May 13, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads ● Website (Author) ● Website (Book)

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

Ive had so many people tell me that I should read this book that I finally gave in and picked up We Were Liars. It definitely did not disappoint! I love mysterious contemporaries and this one has a pretty big twist. I think though, that because so many people were reeling from and constantly mentioning that there was a huge twist in the story that I saw it coming JUST before it was announced in the book. Nonetheless, I still really enjoyed the story and this book just makes me want to read more from E. Lockhart, an author I’d never picked up before.

I enjoyed Cady’s narrative voice, particularly her determination to find out what happened that one summer. The relationship with Gat was really interesting, but I just wish we learned more about Mirren and Johnny–the story is about the Liars after all! But everything does make sense after the twist–speaking of twisted, I also really liked the fairytales that were between chapters–they were really dark...I kind of want E. Lockhart to write a whole book filled with her take on popular fairytales.

We Were Liars was a really quick read, but one that kept me thinking about it long after Id finished. Eerie and spine-tingling, E. Lockhart’s wonderful prose will keep you at the edge of your seat from start to finish–this is a summer you won’t forget.

If you like this, try...

3 comments:

  1. I read this book June 2014, and added it to a short list of books that just blew me away. Lockhart's writing is beautiful, and the story, UGGGHHHH! The feels were just all there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing this one over and over again. I really need to get it from the library or something. If nothing else, I just need to know what everyone is talking about. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I thought from the cover that this is a coming of age story. I like mysteries like this as well.

    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!