The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder


Published: April 4th, 2011
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Rating: YA 13+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
AmazonGoodreads


At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?


**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reading Copy). The final text may be different!**




“What are the Lipstick Laws?” I asked cautiously.
“They’re seven sacred laws that you have to follow if you want to be friends with us––or else!”

The Lipstick Laws sure makes me glad High School isn't like it's in the book. THAT place, is the equivalent of the fiery pits of hell...ruled by Satan herself, Britney.
It really reminded me of the movie Mean Girls with the posse of popular mean girls (like the title...duh!) and the new girl who wants to be so badly part of the group...Love the movie! Need to see it again though...the last time I did was 3 years ago :P


Amy Holder's writing makes reading the book such a hilarious experience. The book grabbed me in from page 1, because the funny starts there and just keeps constant through the whole book! I think that because the writing is laugh-out-loud worthy and lessons are learned I think that even pre-teens will enjoy this ;).
The characters in this story are so WELL crafted! I really felt so sorry for April and understood her pain, and the whole time I wanted to slap Britney for being...well, you know, Britney! I wasn't attracted so much to Matt Brentwood though...that was a downer. I just thought he was one of those guys who are OBSESSED with popular girls.
April is a really good heroine as she does have morals and she doesn't back down without a fight. I'm just really glad that Holder gave this girl some sense to defend herself! Definitely one of the most funniest main characters I've ever read about as well. I just didn't like how she treats Delvin in the end. It was kinda mean of her to take over completely and change him and stuff. Just really against what I thought her character was like.


The Lipstick Lawlords is Britney with all her friends, considered the most popular girls in school. When *SPOILER ALERT!* April gets kicked out of this group, she forms the anti-group towards Britney...the amazing Lipstick Lawbreakers! I seriously thought that this was the best part of the book! It was hilarious, ingenious, and seriously one of the best pranks I've ever read about...gives me a few ideas! he he.
I love the whole spring formal scene. It's just the night that everything changes and people start to become different. These were the highlights of the book, which I'm sure everyone will get a load of good laughs in :).


Overall, The Lipstick Laws shows the structure of popularity in school, how the pretty people are the ones who are worshipped and the others are below them. I'm so glad I don't go to a high school like this (although I'm sure there are some high schools like this!) and I'm glad that April's the one to stand up for change. She makes her peers think more about why they're following whatever the Lipstick Lawlords say and if it really does matter! A fantastic debut by Amy Holder, I recommend this for anyone who needs a good laugh, and is sick of the popular people being looked up to. Amazing, giggle-worthy and moralistic, The Lipstick Laws shows exactly how things can be changed for good when you put your mind to it.




If you like this, try...



2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book :D

    http://darkfantasy-natframpton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I like Mean Girls too and this one sounds amusing. I still have yet to hear about a real high school that was like this, though. That's just crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!