High School Heroes by James Mascia

High School Heroes by James Mascia


Published: August 29th, 2010
Publisher: L & L Dreamspell
Rating: YA 13+
Format: eBook
Source: Sent from Author for Review
AmazonGoodreads Website


What if...you discovered you had the ability to read minds? What would you do with that power? On Christine Carpenter's first day of her sophomore year at Thomas Jefferson High School she makes a startling discovery. She can hear peoples' thoughts. After convincing herself she's not going crazy, Chris must learn to control her amazing mind-reading ability. Using her power she quickly realizes her crush, the captain of the football team, is also blessed with a special ability. She is soon sucked into a world she never thought possible when two more of her classmates, and a teacher, turn out to have powers as well. What are they meant to do with their special gifts that can either help, or harm others? Christine soon finds out when a monster, lurking in the depths of her school, threatens to murder the student population. When it becomes apparent that the creature is someone she knows, she must decide whether to try and save him, or destroy the beast. If she chooses destruction, can she live with the consequences?
The blurb of this book definitely had caught my attention, so I decided to give it a try. I loved the plot, the concept of superheroes is one that you don't see very often in novels. I've read only some X-Men comics, but otherwise, not so much in the superhero genre. Loved reading about the powers (ALWAYS my favorite part of the story) and the mystery behind what's hiding in the school and their powers.
I have to say though, the cover isn't very attractive, but I'm glad for not judging a book by it's cover, because it's a very good story! And...does the girl on the cover kinda look like Lindsey Shaw (aka: Moze from Ned's Declassified; Paige from Pretty Little Liars) all gothed up? I dunno, just something I thought!


The characters were all very well justified. I like how in Christine's group of friends, it's a mix of people, like with the pretty girl who doesn't really care about her looks; the rockstar twins; the kinda hot guy friend. Just a really good mix. I found Christine though, kinda annoying sometimes. She's a good MC, and really has flaws which every normal person has. But she sometimes overreacts for the smallest of things, and sometimes even puts herself before others, like with her friend Sam and him dating the cheerleader Samantha. She immediately tries to take him back and I thought it was really selfish of her. Ethan was really cute, I loved how he was a jock, but then also loves comics (actually, a lot of his dialogue is full of superheroes). All characters played good parts in the book, although I would have wanted to see a bit more of Savannah I guess, as her story's also quite interesting!


I found the story slowed in some bits, like it was just fill-in, but then luckily there was a lot of interesting dialogue during some of these bits. Otherwise, without these, it would have been a much faster flowing story. There was also an interesting blend with history, about World War II. It's interesting to see how it all connects in the end, and the result is satisfying.


Overall, High School Heroes is a action packed story which will leave you marveling at the world of superheroes. I wish there were more books on superheroes...it's a very interesting concept for a book! I kinda wish there is going to be a sequel, YET I found that if it was to be a stand-alone novel, it's fine by itself as the ending was agreeable and I don't know how it could be continued. But anyway, READ this and you won't be disappointed! Be sure to check out the mini-comic here...it's really good!


**Thank you so much to James Mascia for sending me High School Heroes for review!**
If you like this, try...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!