Populazzi by Elise Allen

Populazzi by Elise Allen


Published: August 1st, 2011
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Rating: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite

Cara has never been one of those girls: confident, self-possessed, and always ready with the perfect thing to say. A girl at the very top of the popularity tower. One of the Populazzi.

Now, junior year could change everything. Cara’s moving to a new school, and her best friend urges her to seize the moment—with the help of the Ladder. Its rungs are relationships, and if Cara transforms into the perfect girlfriend for guys ever-higher on the tower, she’ll reach the ultimate goal: Supreme Populazzi.
The Ladder seems like a lighthearted social experiment, a straight climb up, but it quickly becomes gnarled and twisted. And when everything goes wrong, only the most audacious act Cara can think of has a chance of setting things even a little bit right.
**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final text/cover may change.**


Populazzi reminded me a mix of The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder and the movie Mean Girls. Cara, the main character, is determined to become part of the most popular people in school: the Populazzi. I really love the social climbing ladder scheme which Claudia comes up with. It really does look like an interesting concept, even if it’s main purpose is for a very wrong reason.
I loved Cara as the MC of this book. She’s funny, easy to read through her perspective and the emotions she feel are in amazing details. I found Claudia a little less like-able. She pushes Cara too much, and gets upset too frequently if Cara doesn't follow-up or do something she's asked her to do. I dunno, but I guess, the story wouldn't be complete without her, would it? Likewise with Trista: the supreme populazzi, top dog, meanie etc. Hate her, but the story would be nothing without her.
Now on to the more interesting part: the Guys. The way the social climbing scheme thing works is that Cara dates people from each level of this ladder. First she starts off with Archer, the theatrical type. LOVED HIM!! I mean, he's so sweet and nice to her. God, I would have ditched the whole popularity thing to be with him. Then comes the DangerZone guy, Nate. I mean, this is the hot bad-boy, emo/soulful guy who's a musician. Still, I wasn't so attracted to him once I learned more about him. But he was pretty funny after the break up! With every guy, there's a twist and turn which leads Cara up to the final stage: P-O-P-U-L-A-Z-Z-I!


I really hated her parents though. Her mom doesn't stick up for Cara when her stepdad, Karl gets all mean with her and stuff. I mean, her mom is just so DEPENDENT on him all the time. This was the only flaw with the whole book. I just wish that the mom had a spine or that the parents would be much more understanding or not get so mad or something.
I found that there were no dull spots in this novel. Every part was so interesting! Elise Allen's writing is smooth and the emotion in it is amazing. I couldn't stop reading this when I opened it up from NetGalley. It's so addicting, and I immediately was caught up with the same drama as Mean Girls with the perfect amount of funny moments to keep it not so serious or draggy.


Populazzi is definitely one read that you'll want to get into, get high off the humor and get addicted to the drama, that'll make you want to read it again, and again, and AGAIN. Elise Allen has written a ah-mazing YA debut that captures the intense and gossipy drama of high school. Definitely can't wait to read more from her in the future!
If you like this, try...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review!!!! Yeah, Cara's parents made me mad too, but I had to be honest to the characters. I love the books you put in the "If you like this try..." list -- such an honor to be among them!

    Thanks again!

    xo,

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Rabiah! I'm definitely adding this book to my TBR pile. And how cool that Elise herself commented on your review! I just wanted to stop by and tell you that I was nominated for a blog award and had to pick 5 of my favorite bloggers to shine the spotlight on and you were one of them! I hope you'll drop by to check it out. :-)
    http://sweetmarie-83.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!