The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

Release Date: June 27, 2017
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Edelweiss
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads Website

Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.


Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.

I first met Mackenzi when I was writing a profile for a class project, and I mean–as a book blogger, what better person is there profile than an author? Especially an author who had an awesome debut coming out later that year? After that initial meeting I've run into Mackenzi a few other times, so of course I was super excited to finally dig into The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue! I adored This Monstrous Thing (read my review), and I knew that this one was bound to be as good–or even better.

Oh.
My.
GOD.

I could not get enough of this book! Having just come back from a semester abroad in London and traveling around Europe, this was the PERFECT read. I fell in love with everything about this book, and seriously needed more when I got to the end.

Monty! Oh Monty, Monty, Monty. Definitely one of the most unabashedly hedonistic protagonists out there, but my goodness, did I love his voice throughout the book. Basically being the historical version of today's f***-boy, I loved seeing his transformation from beginning to end (thankfully, his humour and unabashed-ness stays in tact). Felicity was a total badass, and I can't wait for her spin-off novel, because if her character in this story was any indication, her story is going to be E-P-I-C. Percy was such a darling character, and I love how even though he was sort of the counter to Monty's character–in public, at least–they truly have a special friendship that turns into something more.

Speaking of which, the diversity in this book is WONDERFUL. Bisexual/gay main characters, people of colour, disabilities: I loved the representation in this book, despite of what we–meaning what we're forced to believe with a narrow-ass mindset–think of "typical" historical fiction. Screw that. Mackenzi had made a pretty important point when I interviewed her, which was that people with different sexual identities had always existed...it's just because it was condemned as illegal doesn't mean that they weren't there. So yes. HELLS YES to this book, because any sort of (positive) representation is important, regardless of the time period it's set in.

Narrow escapes, fantastic settings, and PIRATES to top it all off (looking at you Hamlet), The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue was an amazing read. A historical adventure across Europe with more-than-ordinary circumstances, Mackenzi Lee's latest novel is probably one of my favourite reads of this year. As I have mentioned earlier, I can't wait for the companion novel to this one–I need some more Felicity and that Montague charm!


If you like this, try...


▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review! Glad that you loved this one so much. <3 I'm so excited to read it myself. Everything you said is just ALL THE YES! :D

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review of this book! I've been seeing it everywhere, but I hadn't really looked into it seriously if I wanted to read it. Love that it included diversity in a historical fiction novel, a lot of other authors gloss over that.

    Deanna Reads Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great review, Rabiah! I'm really excited to get this book here soon. All the hype surrounding it has made me eager to start it. Your review definitely just cemented the fact I need to hurry up and get it ASAP instead of waiting until next month. I love that this is an adventure with historical context that breaks the mold. And apparently there is going to be a spin off with one of the characters? How neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!