Possession by Elana Johnson

Possession by Elana Johnson


Published: June 7th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: Possession, Book 1
Rating: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself. 
But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn. 
This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.




**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final text/cover may be different.**


Possession was an amazing blend of dystopian, paranormal, adventure and romance all rolled in one. It was a pretty long read, I will admit, but it's SO worth it! When society is controlled by the government, what is "bad"?
It was interesting concept, one I know keeps popping up with other dystopians such as Matched by Ally Condie and XVI by Julia Karr. It's this thing or "control or be controlled" which serves as the most suitable tagline I've ever seen for this book. The ones who rule, you must follow...or else.


I found the characters quite alright. Vi was an amazing butt-kicking heroine, but she seemed not keen on breaking the rules although she's a 'rebel'. But then, a rebel to the "Goodies" might be what Vi is. LOVED JAG!! *Swoon* everytime he comes on I'm just melting away.
What I really found weird was the relationship between the two characters though. It really seemed like the meaning of a "love-hate relationship". One minute they're together, the next one of them ditches the other and BANG! later on it repeats over and over again, just when you think things are final between them.
I found that I didn't really like Zenn so much. He's not very likeable as a character, but he's alright in some bits. Definitely still voting for Jag ;)


As I mentioned before, this book did take a while to read, but when I started, it was very difficult to stop! There were loads of surprises and twists in this story, and there's this whole mystery with Vi's past and Jag's dreams. Some of it's confusing, such as the simulations and tests, and it's just threw me completely off. I had NO idea what was going on during that chapter. Even before, I got quite confused with Jag's dreams as to who was was on what side and such. But this is definitely going to keep you wanting for more. The ending was SO unexpected, I was completely blown away. All I'm saying is, I'm glad this is a series, 'cause I. Want. MORE!


Overall, Possession is an action-packed race which will keep you wondering what choices you have and what choices will be your last. An amazing debut by Elana Johnson, this one is sure to go far in the world of dystopian YA. It's unputdownable and will completely take over your senses. Loved it! Can't wait for Book 2 :)




If you like this, try...

5 comments:

  1. Good to know, cause I just purchased it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a LOT about this book.I am seriously thinking of buying this

    Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... I just got this book. heard alot of it.

    Ps I'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked Possession as well. I loved it, although I wasn't that fond of the characters. I'm a Zenn fan though ;-)

    I'm a new follower btw ;)

    Kind regards,
    Majanka
    I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been interested in this book for a while, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!