The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder


Published: June 28th, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Rating: YA 13+
Format: eGalley
Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself. Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.


The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.

**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final text/cover may be different.**


"This is the last day
of my before.
The day before it all changes.
Forever.


This is my day."


The Day Before was a short quick read, but SO good. It's written in lyrical verses (such as the one above) and I read it in one sitting. This is my first time reading Lisa Schroeder, and now I know for sure, that this will definitely not be the last.
The "chapters" or verses alternate between the past and the present. This gives insight to why Amber's doing on that one day where she needs to get away from everyone, and how her life's changed so much and what's going to happen. Cade's story however, is much more mysterious, as Amber can't seem to read Cade's emotions too much–except for the fact that something's making him sad.


I really found the verses easy to understand (unlike poetry) and I really loved this one especially: "My eyes close/for a moment/and my heart wishes/I could throw it all/to the tide,/like a bottle/with a scribbled note inside." I just loved that one so much– it really got to me so badly, that I had to write it down to stick it on my wall. The other verses are just as beautiful and some even more. The verses all make sense, and I love how some words have a fun way of expressing themselves, such as "g*l*i*t*t*e*r*" I wont tell you how that comes into the story, but it sure is special :)


It is, however, hard to learn about the characters personalities, as it's all written in verse, and this isn't as descriptive. You really need to look deeper into the meaning of the words. I found Amber's character really cool (I love P!nk too!) and she's just someone who wants to figure out things for herself. Love Cade, he's really someone charming, deep, and wants others to be happy. I immediately fell in love with him...who can't? He's just got that 'feel' about him that makes everything seem okay and there's no worries, even though he has something bothering him.
I love how there's so many precious moments in this novel, the events that you can't forget from this book. Cade and Amber are having their day of fun, and some of the stuff really makes you think, 'life isn't so bad' and that you should live every moment of it. A simple message seems to come from the book, like "live life as it would never end– and when something comes along, think of the best result and don't dwell on the worst."


The Day Before is a sweet, quick story about blooming love and that things may turn out to be quite different than what you expected. Since I'm full of quotes today, here's one: When Life gives you Lemons, make Lemonade. Make the most of life. Live happy, live free. Lisa Schroeder has written a story which has amazing lyrical flow and one which doesn't need many words to captivate readers. Engrossing and wonderful, you won't be able to put this book down.


"Close your eyes and trust it, just trust it
Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air?
Have you ever looked fear in the face and said I just don't care?"
–"Glitter in the Air" by P!nk
If you like this, try...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!