Legacy by Cayla Kluver

Legacy by Cayla Kluver


Published: June 21st, 2011
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Series: Legacy, Book 1
Rating: YA 13+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


The first boy disappeared on the day of his birth, on a night when the pale yellow moon of the nighttime sky turned red and bathed the heavens in the ghastly color of blood, on the same night the Kingdom of Cokyri abruptly ceased its merciless attack.
Across the land of Hytanica, under the shadow of the crimson moon, infant boys continued to vanish. Not until the blood had faded from the sky did the disappearances stop and the bodies of the murdered infants were found outside the gates of the city, a final word from the greatest enemy Hytanica had ever known. For the next sixteen years, peace reigned, but one mystery remained unsolved. The Cokyrians had abducted forty-nine newborns, but returned only forty-eight bodies.


Now, as seventeen-year-old Princess Alera of Hytanica is besieged from all sides by suitors vying for the Throne, a teenage Cokyrian boy, Narian, is encountered within the walls of her Kingdom, a boy who will show Alera a world where women serve a purpose and not just a husband. As Narian helps Alera find her voice, she struggles against an arranged marriage that will shatter the life she has scarcely begun to live. And when Narian's shocking past is uncovered, and war with Cokyri looms once more, he must fight to defy a fate ordained at his birth. 

**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final text/cover may be different.**


I was gladly surprised when I read this book. I had no idea what it would really be about, I wasn't sure whether it was fantasy or not, so I read this book with completely no set idea in my mind. 
FAB.
U.
LOUS.
I was even more surprised when I checked out Cayla Kluver's website and I found that this was first published when she was FIFTEEN. Yup, that's how old I AM right now, and I know I couldn't write something as amazing as this book. I Love, Love, LOVED it. It grabs you in from the first chapter. It's enchanting, enthralling and historically beautiful for fiction! The action, the romance and the emotion in this book is so strong, you just can't stop reading.


When you first read this book– it's almost like a fairy tale. A King, a Queen, two Princesses, suitors, castles, kingdoms and battles. Well, okay, a not-so-happy fairy tale for some of it. There's a mystery behind it, as to do with why that one child wasn't returned when all the rest were. The war between Hytanica and Cokyri is only going to get worse with the appearance of the Cokyrian boy, Narian coming into Hytanica.
I loved how even though the boy only comes in the book like halfway, the story until then is still fascinating and doesn't seem like a filler-in. There's more, with the King trying to match up Alera with the man she despises, Steldor, and attacks on the castle from Cokyri, you don't even remember that the boy's supposed to come in! But obviously, when he does, the story just gets even MORE interesting.


I LOVE Alera! Her sarcasm and wish to marry whom she pleases is refreshing, she actually has her own voice, and is not the delicate...daisy she's supposed to be (now that I think about it, who WOULD put a title heroine as delicate?!) She's funny, she's determined and has a backbone. Love her sister, Miranna, even though her sister IS the delicate one, but she's funny when she's flirty and she's just so sweet towards everyone. Alera's bodyguard London, made me sometimes get annoyed at him, but for the most part, he's a key character and found myself reminded of Princess Mia's bodyguard, Lars from The Princess Diaries. He's always there for her. Found her other bodyguard, Tadark hilarious though!
LOVE NARIAN!!! Although I have to say, I started to sway a bit between him and Steldor. I know what you're thinking. STELDOR?? How could you possible like him? Well, okay, he's got that "charming" bad-boy attitude which is bad-boy for historical fiction 'kay?? Plus, the way he's described makes him out to be pretty hot (I mean, later on in the book). But yes, like the majority of other readers out there who've read Legacy...I find Narian more attractive. 


Overall, Legacy is not your average medieval fairy-tale. It's got action, romance and a mystery behind it all. Kluver's writing is beautiful, flawless and will enrapture you from beginning to the end. Gotta say this again– Love, Love, LOVE it and can't wait for book 2, Allegiance!
If you like this, try...

Other Covers:
(English)
(other Languages)
(left to right: Italian, German, Portuguese, Spanish)

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review! I've been wanting to read this book for a while. I don't know if it's the girly girl in me, but I love the whole castle setting in books with princes and princess!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!