Sphinx's Princess by Esther Friesner



She was far more than just a pretty face. . . .
Although Nefertiti is the dutiful daughter of a commoner, her inquisitive mind often gets her into situations that are far from ordinary, like receiving secret lessons from a scribe. And her striking beauty garners attention that she'd just as soon avoid, especially when it's her aunt, the manipulative Queen Tiye, who has set her sights on Nefertiti. The queen wants to use her niece as a pawn in her quest for power, so Nefertiti must leave her beloved family and enter a life filled with courtly intrigue and danger. But her spirit and mind will not rest as she continues to challenge herself and the boundaries of ancient Egyptian society. With control of a kingdom at stake and threats at every turn, Nefertiti is forced to make choices and stand up for her beliefs in ways she never imagined.
As she did in Nobody's Princess and Nobody's Prize, author Esther Friesner offers readers a fresh look at an iconic figure, blending historical fiction and mythology in a heady concoction.

I loved this book so much. I think it was as amazing as Nobody's Princess and Nobody's Prize.

This time Friesner takes us to Ancient Egypt. Now, I don't know about you, but my Egyptian Mythology and history isn't as good as my Greek knowledge. But it doesn't matter! I understood everything being said! I think this one was easier to understand (like if you don't know the mythology/history of it all) and like, anyone could read it.

I love the twist in plot in the book (I'm talking about the one in the end) and it just caught me off guard. I didn't expect it at all. Suddenly the guy who I thought was good was bad and everything goes cold. I really think the elements in this book, regarding plot and elements are so strong, that it's impossible to stop reading once you start. You just want need to find out what happens to Nefertiti in her hard and eventful journey.

I really love the little harp playing girl. She just sounds so cute and adorable! Sound just like a 7-8 year old, all cute and chubby and innocent. Totally in love with the cat, she makes me laugh and giggle and make me wanna awww whenever she does something cute...or adorable. Talking about the cat, the strange thing between Thutmose and his cat, was a little...weird? creepy? I dunno. It was just pretty strange how he was OBSESSED with that cat. Like his brother and the sister who talks to Nefertiti though. They're nice and such good supporting characters :).

Nefertiti's character is amazing. I know both Helen and Nefertiti are strong, awesome butt-kicking girls, and they are just so...role-model like. Nefertiti stays strong and Helen goes out seeking for adventure. Nefertiti is softer, yes, but still a love-able character. She stands up for what's right, does what she has to for her family and disregards her beauty, which she thinks isn't important. I love characters like that. I mean, they're really modest and think about what's on the inside, not the outside, which counts. Nefertiti definitely doesn't judge her new friend, and bro to Thutmose, Amenophis by his looks etc. She likes him as a friend for who he is.
I also like how Nefertiti is intelligent. She's willing to learn how to write, which was forbidden (I think) for women during that time, and she's quick to learn. She's smart, pretty AND has a sense of humor. Nice.

Sphinx's Princess is an amazing blend of history, mythology, adventure, the start of budding romance, THEN a secret plot, then amazingly delicious twists and turns that makes you think, WOW, What just happened there? and leave you wanting for more.

Sphinx's Queen just came out recently, I can't wait to read more on what happens to Nefertiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!