Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Charlotte Bronte's impassioned novel is the love story of Jane Eyre, a plain yet spirited governess, and her arrogant, brooding Mr. Rochester. Published in 1847, under the pseudonym of Currer Bell, the book heralded a new kind of heroine--one whose virtuous integrity, keen intellect and tireless perseverance broke through class barriers to win equal stature with the man she loved. Hailed by William Makepeace Thackeray as "the masterwork of great genius," Jane Eyre is still regarded, over a century later, as one of the finest novels in English literature.




YAY! That's one book completed off of my Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2011! well, 9 more to go...


I loved Jane Eyre. I told myself I should really read more classics (and plus my mom tells me to try them) and this one I've heard about a lot (and plus a movie's coming out this year!) and so I decided to give it a chance.


Oh. My. God.


I cannot explain how simply amazing and awesome and beautiful this book is! It's so mysterious and romantic and secretive and shocking that it's just so good. I really don't have words to explain how much I love this book. Just go read it and see for yourself.


I generally struggle with classics. I usually end up watching the movie first to understand the events that take place, and THEN read it. But with Jane Eyre, I was captivated with the first few pages and it kept me going. I had borrowed my aunt's copy in India, and then when I came here (I still hadn't finished) I found my copy out of the box containing all my beloved books (we're reunited!) and sought it out and READ IT. I finished it that afternoon, sitting on a newly unpacked chair and I just read and read it until I finished. The secret is so amazing, so shocking and terrifying that it's mind jolting. I was like, Oh my god, WOAH. I just couldn't believe it. I'm not gonna spoil it though. So don't make me!


I loved Jane's character. She's just so, headstrong, yet she has a chink in her armor, proving that she isn't perfect. Well, she isn't perfect as she isn't beautiful like most heroines, but that just makes it even better! She had a bad childhood and it feels better when she's at Thornhill working as a governess. We can feel Jane's pain through love and agony, hurt and anger, and that is just how good the book is. How many times do I have to say that? Okay. Stop What you're doing...wait. No. Finish reading this review, then go find yourself a copy of Jane Eyre and READ IT for God's sake! and if you have read it, you'll agree with me, how good this book is. I've heard that Emily Brontë's book Wuthering Heights is also really good. I don't know. I'm just gonna have to read it myself and see as well.


The movie for Jane Eyre is coming out this March 11th! I cannot wait for the movie. It seems so good! and I love how they put lines (which I recognised) from the book into the movie. I feel that makes the movie much closer to the book instead of a weird adaption. And I really think that Mia Wasikowska really is a brilliant actress for Jane Eyre. Here's the link to the trailer and the movie poster (below). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjmQLD2zlc.




I loved this book so much (how MANY times have I mentioned this?). It's simplicity of a love story, it's dark secrets, and just the adventure and journey of Jane Eyre is one that I will always really remember and love to read.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it just amazing when a book knocks your socks off?! I'm planning a reread of Jane soon, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    Jane Eyre is possibly my favourite novel of all time! I first read it when I was a young teen, and I've reread it several times since then--and each time I do, I discover something else wonderful and gut-wrenching about it.

    Have you seen the new movie since you published this review? If so, what did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Jane Eyre but I've been watching Jane Eyre movies, I love the stories^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the only classical book I've read and I 100% agree with you. I read this book while watching for my grandma in the hospital last year and eventhough I was so tired, I traded sleep to be able to read it. I loved it! I haven't watch the movie yet because I don't want to be disappointed and think the book is better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!