Swoon by Nina Malkin

Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him -- but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent -- and irresistible -- adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.

What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?

Um, this book was...interesting. and by interesting, I mean it was...okay.

The back of the book and the cover really grabbed my attention. I mean, I liked the idea of spirits and ghosts and stuff like that, so I decided to give this book a go. It was so confusing. I couldn't make head or tail of it. I had no idea what the main character, Dice was doing during this whole book, and I felt as if she was very underdeveloped. Like, the only two characters who WERE developed were Pen and Sin.

I mean, the good part about this book, I think, was the idea. I found this idea pretty different from other paranormal books these days, except I thought that it would kinda be like The Mediator series by Meg Cabot or something like that. I like the idea of possession and ghosts and stuff like that. I found that it was great when they *SPOILER ALERT* go back in time and visit the 1700's to find out who killed Hannah, Sin's love in this time, and the crime he was wrongly accused and was hung for. But this book is kinda like, more for...older readers.
When I say older readers, I mean, OLDER READERS. Do not read this book if you are 13 below...maybe even 14 below, except that would be a bit weird, because I'm 14...so yeah. It contains a lot of drug use, love affairs (well, like 2), sex (yes, I think every chapter included something to do with the subject) and really, just...don't read it until you're old enough. Do yourself a favor and don't get exposed to this stuff early, cause they do have the above A LOT in this book.

Now, what I didn't really like about this book. I found this book really confusing, and I only understood it when *SPOILER ALERT* Sin turned "human" and stuff. And then at the end it went back to being confusing, but then loads of things were explain. Except at the end, the thing with Marsh and her dad (and no, it's not an affair like thing) was kinda weird. I found the vocabulary in this book very long and hard to understand but that didn't stop me from reading it. Malkin has used a different style of writing, as I found it different than other books. It had little descriptions, but some amazing and hilarious dialogue.
What I didn't get though, was the "love" between Sin and Dice. I mean, from what it says in the book, it hardly looks like they're in love. It seems kinda...bland, or plain, you know what I mean? but it was okay. I felt as if Pen and Sin had the more romantic experience rather than Dice and Sin...but, whatever.

I think Sin is one of those characters who go on my hot book guys list. Because, he's like a bad, psychotic guy, which I guess makes him more attractive...I guess. But I dunno. I guess I didn't feel as drawn to him as like Patch from Hush, Hush or Michael from The Princess Diaries or whatever book that I've liked a guy from. But yeah, he's definitely somewhere on my list...which really, someday, I'm gonna be posting. Someday.

Overall, I would say that Swoon is an original and edgy, yet dark and mysterious, book for older readers. With it's historical references and modern twists, with a secret, Swoon is a unique book with amazing characters. Can't wait for the next book, Swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!